Sunday, May 2, 2010

Review of Midnight Cravings

Writers: Michele Hauf, Karen Whiddon, Lori Devoti, Anna Leonard and Bonnie Vanak
Publication date: April 1, 2009
Released in Paperback

4 1/2 stars

Synopsis: A COLLECTION OF SIX SEXY BITES

Under the cover of night exists the dark and sensuous world of Midnight Cravings - a world conjured up in six seductive tales of paranormal passion. Follow some of the genre's best writers, including Michele Hauf, Karen Whiddon and Lori Devoti, on a mesmerizing journey where the extraordinary comes breathtakingly close with every turn of the page.

So, please, come on in. The first bite won't hurt, and its likely that you will crave another...and another...and...

How I Came to Read This: It was just something on the shelf I saw, picked up and took home because it looked like a good read.

My Review: I was half right. The first 3-4 stories were really good where the last three seemed to get too involved to just be short stories. To review this book, I actually ended up reading it all over again!

WARNING: This book is seriously sexy!! So yeah, adults only!!

Racing the Moon by Michele Hauf: This was my favorite of all the short stories. I loved this cheeky little tale about two shapeshifters; the female, a cat and the male, a wolf. Come on, really, what's sexier than a wolf?? They try to fight the strong attraction to each other because a cat and wolf aren't exactly buddy buddy. But a rainstorm and a full moon only means trouble, and by trouble I mean the hot, sexy kind!

Both characters have a great sense of humor but they also have their own little background stories of troubled pasts and loneliness. Dean is so hot! He's such a man's man who goes after what he wants - and needs - with a bad boy kick to him. Sunday has her own "demons" to deal with, making it harder for her to give into the temptation that is, Dean Maverick!

Mate of the Wolf Karen Whiddon: This was a very sweet story with a happy ending. I liked the switch of narrators, getting both views of the same story.

Kane Webster. A sexy vampire with a british accent? Sounds like Edward Pattinson or Robert Cullen! Either way sounds pretty yummy to me!! He's kind, thoughtful, patient and giving.

I didn't care for Allie's use of dog phrases, like, "Hellhounds" and "Oh my Dog". It made me think of her living in an actual dog world; where everything is made for and all about dogs.

I enjoyed reading this story a second time so much, I forgot to stop and take notes! I wish I could have more of Kane and Allie. A whole novel - a whole series!

Captured by Lori Devoti: This is a tragic story. Trapped in a breeding mill against your will. It's an interesting concept; a way we don't often see shapeshifters.

Leve is not your usual damsel in distress. She's determined to protect herself, even if it means fighting to the death. She won't let it happen again. Both she and Gray are strong characters. They both want their freedom, no matter the cost. I sympathize for Leve; she's had it pretty rough. But her determination and strength are what define her, not the tragedies that scar her. Gray is an alpha male - no way he's going to let a few punk elves keep him prisoner.

I think this connection between Gray and Leve is the kind of bond you feel after you've been through a traumatic experience with someone. It probably didn't last for too long!

Dreamcatcher by Anna Leonard: When I first read this story, I really didn't care for Emma. I felt she was overly stubborn, pig-headed. However, the second time around I took notice to details I didn't see before. In her life, everyone wants and expects her to be able to handle anything thrown her way. When people have expectations of you, you try to live up to them. But sometimes, the weight of the world becomes too much for just one person's shoulders. You get to see Emma's vulnerable side and it becomes easier to relate to her.

Matthew struggles with his inner demon. His profession is caring for people, in a way to compensate for putting them in need in the first place.

I really liked the beginning ad middle of this story, but I felt the ending became too difficult to visualize ad that's where I got lost. Even the second time around! I did appreciate the fact that Emma and Matthew got to know each for a little while before deciding that they had to spend forever, together. They actually had conversations and learned things about each other. But hey, sometimes a fly-by fling or love-at-first-sight can be fun too, right?

Mahina's Storm by Vivi Anna: This is a story of two colleagues, knowing each other and working together several times, through the years.

Mahina, police captain and lycanm is strong-minded and independent. She doesn't get involved with men for too long and feels the need to have control over everything in her life.

Ren has been harboring feelings for Mahina for years asher fellow officer and lycan. This is red hot! He's strong, gorgeous (in my head, anyway) and dominating, in the sexy way. Mahina won't admit to their mutual attraction to each other but he won't take no for an answer.

This story has a touch of danger and excitement, suspense and more than one steamy moment. This was one of my favorites stories in the book. It was a little too short. I would have enjoyed another chapter or two.

It was a fun game of cat and mouse.

Broken Storm by Bonnie Vanak: Didn't read.

Who Should Read This: Mature audience! Sexual content and all that good stuff...*ahem*, that is, of course, if you're into that *ahem* kind of stuff... The whole book is about finding The One in someone - or something - you never thought to look.

Great read!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails