Monday, August 8, 2011

What Happens When You Just Feel Like Giving Up?

So here's the deal. I've been blogging for over a year now and I love it, I honestly do. I love that I discovered the world of young-adult book readers and all the amazing things these bloggers do. I love sharing my reviews and all the exciting books news I learn. I'm always trying to stay on top of all things books, like release dates, cover releases, sequels, books being made into movies, books being made into graphic novels, debut authors and novels and so on and so on.


The truth is this: I feel like it's all for naught. I wish I had the time to promote my blog the way I know successful blogs need to be but I just don't. My monthly views have decreased and no one responds to anything I say or do AND I lost a follower today! I offer giveaways that no one enters. I'm talking to myself here! With school starting in just two short weeks, I'm beginning to wonder if my blog will be worth keeping up.


SO...basically, if this post doesn't yield some kind of response from my followers, I'm afraid this will be my final post.


To those of you that have entered my Sci-Fi and Steampunk Giveaway, I truly appreciate it and don't worry, you will still be able to win your books.

8 comments:

Katie said...

I don't think you should give up but that is totally up to you. I have had days where I have wanted to give up too but I had to think about what my life would be like without my blog and I think you should do that too. I will miss you if you leave though!

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I totally understand Elaine. I get it. I hate talking to myself. Or feeling that way. I think you should do whatever is best for you but maybe you should take a day or so to think about it. It sounds like losing a follower was the last straw. I thought the summer would bring more time for blogging but it seems like tons are people are busier or away. Maybe it will pick up when school starts. I've enjoyed your blog and would be sad if you left.

We Heart YA said...

If you're only doing this for the numbers, for the "fame," then yes, it's all for naught. We don't mean to be rude or cynical, but the truth is, almost no blog is actually important. If it disappeared tomorrow, the world would still go on.

But if you're doing it because you love books, because you want to make friends and meet authors and fellow book lovers, because you enjoy expressing yourself -- then the numbers don't matter.

Rather than give up, we suggest deleting some of these sidebar widgets. Forget being popular. Just be yourself.

And always make sure you're treating others the way you want to be treated. Comment. Like. Tweet. Connect.

Jess - The Tales Compendium said...

I totally understand want you mean but I think if it is something you love doing then you should stick with it. xx

I Live In A Fictional World said...

@WHYA - Allow me to elaborate. I started this blog because I had read so many great books that I needed a place to share them. I don't mean to make it sound like it's just about the numbers because it certainly isn't. I'm just starting to get the feeling that no one else is here with me. You're absolutely right that I do need to reach out more. And I appreciate the good advice about the widgets. I don't think I'll delete them all, but I'm thinking a simpler layout.

Also - a huge thank you to Katie, Alexis and Jess!!

Susan said...

It IS hard to keep up with it all. If it's not fun for you anymore or you don't feel like it's worth it, then you probably should give it up so you feel less frustrated.

Personally, I really enjoy your blog. I just don't always have time to read it as I have 1500+ book blogs on my Reader. That's a lot of blogs to keep up with!

Whatever you decide, best of luck with it ...

Rachel Brooks said...

It's hard sometimes when you don't feel like anyone is listening to what you are posting. The more active you are in the blogging community, participate in follow backs, etc., the more you get in return. I know you said you're busy, but maybe you are just burnt out. I did a post on blogging burnout a few weeks ago.

Instead of quitting forever, maybe take a few weeks to connect with other blogs, rather than using that time to post on your own blog. I find that the more people you follow, the more followers you get in return. It's blogging karma! Speaking of which...

I’m a new follower! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

Sara said...

I'm glad that you decided not to shut down your blog because I just found it today and I love it! Not only are the aesthetics gorgeous, but you're an excellent writer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails