Sunday, May 16, 2010

LAMENT by MAGGIE STIEFVATER

LAMENT: THE FAERIE QUEEN'S DECEPTION (Books of Faeries, #1)
Written by: Maggie Stiefvater
Titles in Series: Lament and Ballad
Publication date: October 1, 2008

4 stars

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand - one who can see faeries.

Unexpectedly, Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy named Luke who enters her ordinary life, seemingly out of thin air. But his interest in her might be something darker than summer romance. When a sinister faerie named Aodhan shows up with deadly orders from the Faerie Queen, it forces Dee right into the midst of Faerie. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend.

Deirdre had been wishing her summer weren't so dull, but taking on a centuries-old Faerie Queen isn't exactly what she had in mind.

How I Came to Read This: I read Shiver and knew that I wanted to read everything Stiefvater has already written and all her future work. Everyone was talking about this series and I felt so out of the loop. I found the sequel Ballad first and had to wait and wait until I found this one.

My Review: WARNING: Some strong language, which I don't mind but some of you might.

There's something about the way Maggie Stiefvater writes that I just love. To me it feels relaxed and easy-going. It seems I can always just fall into her books and nuzzle up, get all cozy and enjoy the story. I've read a lot of reviews that refer to her style of writing as lyrical and after this book, I think I finally understand what they mean.

When strange things start happening to Deirdre Monaghan, she doesn't just chalk it up to an overactive imagination. She doesn't exactly freak out (like I would) but she doesn't ignore it either and that's what I like about her. Instead of pretending nothing is going on, she keeps a cool head and very carefully snipes out the information she needs.

Luke steals the show. In my mind's eye, I'm mesmerized when he speaks. All I want to do is hear what he has to say to see what he reveals next.  Even what he doesn't say - or can't say - says a lot too!

Somewhere around the middle of the book was when it really took off for me. There is so much unknown in this book that you are compelled to keep reading.  Stiefvater keeps throwing little tidbits your way that make you think, "Okay, maybe now I can figure out what's going on." But you can't - because it's just a tease! The lure on the end of the hook.

Who Should Read This: A fun read for anyone!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails