Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thirst Series by Christopher Pike


THIRST NO. 1 and THIRST NO. 2 - THE LAST VAMPIRE
Written by: Christopher Pike
Titles in Series: Thirst No. 1, Thirst No. 2 and Thirst No. 3 to be released October 5, 2010
Publication date: August 4, 2009 and January 5, 2010
Released in Paperback

4 stars


Synopsis: As to blood - ah, blood, the whole subject fascinates me. I do like that as well, warm and dripping , when I am thirsty. And I am often thirsty....


Alisa has been in control of her urges for the five thousand years she has been a vampire. She feeds but does not kill, and she lives her life on the fringe to maintain her secret. But when her creator returns to hunt her, she must break her own rules in order to survive.


Her quest leads her to Ray. He is the only person who can help her; he also has every reason to fear her. Alisa must get closer to him to ensure her immortality. But as she begins to fall in love with Ray, suddenly there is more at stake than her own life....


How I came to Read This: Initially, it was the title that caught my attention. I immediately assumed it was about vampires, and I was right. That fact that the main character, Sita, is five-thousand years old and the last vampire, I thought it would be cool to read her stories.


My Review: They weren't you're typical creature-of-the-night stories either! They were spiritual, funny, a little gory and nothing short of exciting. Sita's detached way of speaking about death serves as a reminder of exactly how old she is. So much went on in these books and yet, I didn't feel overwhelmed, I felt hungry for more. There were twists and turns everywhere. Have the patience to see this series to the end and you won't regret it.


I was sad when I finished these books. I felt like I was dumped back in my podunk little town after having spent summer vacation with my wild and crazy cousin, who took me on a whirlwind adventure. But guess what? I recently discovered that a third book in the series will be released in October of this year! I can't believe it. Just when I thought there wasn't anywhere left to go, Christopher Pike throws one more at me! I thought the story was pretty much wrapped up, now I can't wait to see what happens!


[Quickie]: In these two books titled Thirst No. 1 & Thirst No. 2, there are six separate stories. Six books compiled into just two. These titles were previously published individually back in 1996!


Who Should Read This: These are incomparable. They aren't like anything else. Like I said, if you have the patience to read a book that throws a lot of different things your way, while maintaining a great story, pick it up. It begins in one place and takes you on a world-wide adventure to end somewhere completely different!




Here's a look at the cover of Thirst No. 3


1 comment:

France said...

Thirst No.1 by Christopher Pike is way more than I expected! With the vampire genre busting at the seams with books that seem to retell the same story with different character names, this book stands out as an original!!! These books (the first three in a series of 6 are included in Thirst No.1) were around long before the Twilight craze started and are fortunately being rereleased!! The author's writing is seamless and the characters are so well developed that you feel like you know them personally! The main character, Sita, is so believable. You feel her age and wisdom through her words and you can feel her loneliness as well. She has lived since the dawn of history and believes that she is the last of her kind. She has made her way through thousands of years virtually invisible and plans to keep it that way. All is well until she is called into a private investigator's office for questioning. Sita then realizes that someone out there knows about her and could threaten exposing her as a vampire. As the story unfolds Sita's life and the lives of countless others are placed in jeopardy. An old enemy presumed dead long ago may have returned. If that is the case then Sita will go from being the ultimate predator to being the prey. This story is weaved with romance, action, spirituality, violence and redemption. Sita's journey is not made alone. The characters she encounters in the present and the characters described from her past all help make this book so enjoyable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails