Monday, July 26, 2010

Review of Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Written by: Maggie Stiefvater
Publication date: July 13, 2010
Released in Hardcover and Paperback

4 stars

Synopsis: In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves. . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.

***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

My Review: I wish I had more to say about this book. Shiver is one of my favorite books and I anticipated this sequel from the moment Sam came out of the woods a human (at the end of Shiver). There was so much story, so much build up in this book that when something finally happened, it was barely worth the wait. All along I knew what was going to happen, I just expected it to happen sooner. I think halfway through the book, we all guessed that Grace was going to shift into a wolf. The whole time I was just waiting for it to happen, so I was disappointed that it didn't until the very end. Now we have to wait for Forever to be released. Gee, can anyone guess how that one is going to turn out? Don't get me wrong - I love a happy ending and I love Sam and Grace but already the story is a little predictable. Doesn't mean I won't still read it!

There is one thing that I did really enjoy about this book: Maggie Stiefvater's writing. The whole time I was reading Linger, I kept trying to describe how I read her writing. To me, it's like she makes novels out of poetry. Her writing is soft and musical.

Who Should Read This: Of course, if you read Shiver, I don't suggest you stop there. I believe (for the most part) in completing a series once you've started (House of Night is one series I started but just couldn't get into - so I stopped). The Wolves of Mercy Falls is a beautiful series that I would recommend to everyone.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails