Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesday Review Day!

Hey guys; this review was accidentally erased when I tried to publish it from my iPad - which I will never attempt to do again, grrr - so it's a little short since I had to rewrite it unexpectedly. Sorry about that. Still, don't let that take away from the book, because it was awesome!

Written by: Lesley Livingston
Publication date: September 20, 2008
Released in Paperback, hardcover, Kindle, ebook by HarperTrophyCanada
336pgs

5 Stars

Synopsis: 17 year-old Kelley Winslow doesn’t believe in Faeries. Not unless they’re the kind that you find in a theatre, spouting Shakespeare—the kind that Kelley so desperately wishes she could be: onstage, under lights, with a pair of sparkly wings strapped to her shoulders. But as the understudy in a two-bit, hopelessly off-off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, wishing is probably the closest she’s going to get to becoming a Faerie Queen. At least, that’s what she thinks... 

In this fun, urban fantasy, Kelley's off-stage life suddenly becomes as complicated as one of Shakespeare’s plot twists when a nighttime trip to Central Park holds more than meets the mortal eye

My Review: I love that Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream is incorporated into this story because that includes Puck - which reminds me of the Iron Fey! That makes me happy =] Then I find out that the main character Kelley, moved to New York City from the Catskills - which is where I live! So even though I hate that her name is Kelley and think she should've been named Emma instead of her Aunt; I forgive that because of her hometown. Lol. I hate Sonny's name even more though.

I really like Kelley. No, I mean really like her. She is completely believable; so much so that she reminds me a lot of myself - outspoken and sarcastic. What I liked most about her is that it didn't take long for her to accept the whole faerie thing. We didn't have to waste a lot of time trying to convince her of their existence and her being one of them.

Sonny is a very likeable character as well. He struggles to fulfill his duty as a Janus Guard and stay away from the puzzle of a read head he just happened to come across in Central Park.

I'm not really sure I know the storyline exactly. I get what's going on but the intricacies are confusing. The whos, the whats and the whys. I kept getting mixed up.

Overall: The climax was so suspenseful, nail-biting! The book is full of great characters who's whole story you can't wait to find out!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails