Thursday, January 6, 2011

Books, Book-to-Movie News and Review!

Hello Beloveds!

It is officially 2011 and so far it's been great - book-wise anyway! Unfortunately, I was not able to come back with new layout like I wanted to but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on it! I've been gone for so long, I wanted to give you as much as I could. So what I've got for you below is a little bit of everything: new books I've added to my shelves, some great book-to-movie news and updates, and my review of Last Sacrifice!

To get it started, here are the amazing books I've gotten between Christmas presents and Borders Gift Cards!



































Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) - tentative release date - September, 2011





















































Each one of those covers are more beautiful in person! I can't wait to read all of them! However, I think the next one off the TBR pile will have to be I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore. The reason? Well, as I watched the Winter Season Premiere of Pretty Little Liars (which was awesome), I saw a preview for the movie version of I Am Number Four!! How amazing!? It comes to theaters (near me) February 18, 2011! On top of all that, the movie was made by Michael Bay! The same guy who did the Transformers movies and some other great movies I can't seem to remember right now. Don't miss it!

Also, in book-to-movie news: actors have been picked to play Jace and Alec in the City of Bones movie! I wish - I really do - that I had names and pictures to share with everyone, but it appears that those are still under wraps :(  What I get from Cassandra Clare's Twitter is that these guys are really hot!! If anyone finds out who they are, PLEASE let me know!!

Now, if you're still reading this super long post - here is my review of Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead.

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)
Written by: Richelle Mead
Publication date: December 7, 2010
Released in Hardcover, 594 pages
Penguin Group (USA)


Synopsis: She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir’s Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir Princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardian to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose- for a crime she didn’t even commit. She’s in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She’ll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose’s life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back… and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your life is about saving others, who will save you?

How I Came To Read This: Are you kidding? I couldn't wait for this to come out!!!

My Review: It's been roughly seven months since I read Spirit Bound, the the minute I started reading Last Sacrifice I fell right back into the world of Rose! It was so easy to get back in the swing of things. The story picks up  right where it left off and wastes no time getting to the action. The plot in this series is so intricate, so detailed, I don't know how Mead does it! Not one page of these books are boring. Never a dull moment. Never. My friend and I were discussing it last night and we were comparing them to other books. How, in Vampire Academy, so many different things happen, there are so many issues that so many different people have to deal with and each character has his or her own background and motives and secrets. In other books, one thing happens and they deal with that one thing the entire book. Mead gives us a multitude of situations to imagine, each one exciting, jaw dropping and seemingly impossible to get out of! Enter...Rose!

Last Sacrifice is my favorite Rose. As funny and witty and kick-ass, as Rose is, her nobility is my favorite part of this book. She's been framed for a horrible crime she didn't commit and for said crime is being hunted by guards who have been instructed to shoot-on-sight! In spite of all that, she fights, almost literally, to the death to clear her name, do the right thing and above all else, protect Lissa.

!!SPOILER ALERT!!
AT THIS POINT, I WILL BE DISCUSSING DETAILED PARTS OF THE BOOK! PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK. NO, REALLY. IT WILL RUIN IT.


Here is what I liked and what I didn't like. I loved that Rose and Dimitri went on a journey, pretty much just the two of them. It was exactly what they needed to work things out and seeing as how that's exactly what happened, I was was very happy with the results. What I didn't like was that Adrian got hurt because of it. He was crapped on this whole book and I felt that Rose should have been made to find the time to tell him. And the way he found out? OMG. Okay. I also liked that they found Sonya, restored her, and she was helpful, not resentful or bitchy. Without her they wouldn't have found the last Dragomir! Which is what I didn't like. I was so excited to be following Rose while she looked for the Lissa brother or sister. With every turn of the page, we would get closer and closer, I was on the edge of my seat. But...when the sister, it turns out, was revealed, I deflated. It didn't bother me that it was someone we all knew. Someone we've known all along! No, what bothered me was that it was Jill! I was hoping for someone more exciting, more interesting. Instead, she was this scared little girl who wasn't even happy to find out she was royalty! Absurd! Speaking of royalty, Lissa becoming Queen? I like it, for all the reasons that are pointed out in the book. She was preparing for it the whole time, we just didn't know it. Finally, my biggest disappointment was the very end. I'm actually torn. Lissa and Rose losing their bond. That, I do not like. It made them unique, special. Without it I felt their loss. However, I know it means they can both have their own lives and I guess that's good, too. Whatever. I still don't like it.

!!SPOILER ALERT OVER!! 

Who Should Read This: Honestly, if you haven't gotten into this series yet, I can't imagine why. It's got it all! Action, romance, politics, friendship, secrets, twists and turns, and a happy ending to top it all off!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails