Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Allow me to Start at the Begining

TWILIGHT SAGA
Written by: Stephenie Meyer
Titles in Series: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn
Publication date: October 5, 2005
Released in Paperback and Hardcover

5 stars

Synopsis: When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

How I Came to Read This: My best friend read all four books when they were first released. She ranted and raved about it for months, telling me everything about them, basically trying everything in her power to convert me! At the time, I just wasn't interested. The series had yet to become the phenomena it is today. My friend continued to insist that I read them and then finally, the movie was released. I watched the movie, still without having read the books, yet. After watching the movie, I bought the book the next day. Once I started, there was no stopping me and I literally couldn't put them down. I would have read them in my sleep.

My Review: I think all four books were very well written. Stephenie Meyer was able to put into written words the unexplainable connection two people can have after only having just met. The feeling you get when you know deep within yourself that this person is meant to be in your life, even if you can't yet see the reason. It's not just about the cool vampire parts, it truly has a love story inside. Yeah, he sparkles, get over it!

I enjoyed Bella in the books a lot more than I did in the movies. I love that Stephenie Meyer made her such a klutz, always tripping and bumping into things, and then pairing her with the grace that only a vampire can have! It only makes the differences between them more strikingly apparent. Yet, Bella and Edward's love story, their magnetism, is palpable. A tangible thing. You feel Bella, you become her.

Edward, the immortal tortured soul. He loves Bella immensely yet, he doesn't want her involved with his kind because of the danger. Therefore, he's constantly struggling with himself between pursuing the woman he loves and putting her life at risk, or facing eternity of heartache and loneliness.

If you haven't read this story yet, I don't know if it's possible to verbalize how amazing (I think) it is. The characters, the background stories, the relationships and interactions; these are the things that get you. The factors of the books that grab you and hold you. If you have read this book and you loved it, well then, you know what I'm talking about.


NEW MOON
Publication date: September 6, 2006
Released in Paperback and Hardcover

5 stars

Synopsis: I felt like I was trapped in one of those terrifying nightmares, the one where you have to run, run till your lungs burst, but you can't make your body move fast enough....But this was no dream, and, unlike the nightmare, I wasn't running for my life; I was racing to save something infinitely more precious. My own life meant little to me today.

For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may be just beginning....

My Review: The more people I talk to about this series (especially since New Moon the movie was released), the more I hear how many people disliked this book the most. Complaining that Bella was too needy and that she should have just gotten over Edward leaving her. Have these people ever been in love?? I think that Bella was so in love and so enamored with Edward that she literally felt the physical pain of his absence. I think I was in a similar way when I had my first and most serious heartbreak. The loss is too much to bear, it takes it out on your body as well as your spirit. I thought New Moon was extremely deep and emotional and if you don't have the heart to understand that, this book, this whole series actually, probably isn't for you.



ECLIPSE
Publication date: August 7, 2007
Released in Paperback and Hardcover

5 stars

Synopsis: "Bella?"

Edwards soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, just like he had in the parking lot, and kissed me again.

This kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips touched mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us.

As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?

My Review: This is my favorite one of all four books!! This is the book where the love triangle between Bella, Edward and Jacob really starts to come to a head. Jacob is in love with Bella who is (irrevocably) in love with Edward. The back and forth between Edward and Jacob adds so much humor to the situation. The suspense this book creates, which directs you to the next one, is unbearable! I can't wait to re-read this one before the movie comes out!





BREAKING DAWN
Publication date: August 2, 2008
Released in Hardcover

5 stars

Synopsis: When you loved the one who was killing you, it left you no options. How could you run, how could you fight that beloved one? If your life was all you had to give, how could you not give it? If it was someone you truly loved?

To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to a werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss, and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fate of two tribes hangs.

Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in Twilight, then scattered and torn in New Moon and Eclipse - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed...forever?

My Review: Action, action, action! Not the butt-kicking kind of action, the kind of action where in every paragraph something amazing is happening. All loose-ends get tied up in this final book and does it ever! This is where all your questions, speculations and guesses get answered and it couldn't have happened any better! I was very satisfied at the end of this book yet very, very sad. It's over! What am I supposed to do with myself now! The whole series had that hypnotizing feel to it. For two happy weeks I was able to live in Forks (not literally!) and then at the end of that last page, I was forced back to reality cold turkey! Talk about a hole in my chest, tearing at the edges!


Who Should Read This: Before you can appreciate these books, you have to stop comparing them to classics such as Dracula. The Twilight Saga is meant for young girls as well as the young girl in every woman. Stephenie Meyer gives us that "happily ever after" that we love so much! That being said; I think everyone should read them. Absolutely everyone!! Even the haters - because you might not be one afterwards! I understand a person who wants to hate something for the simple fact that, well, everyone else loves it. Look beyond what you've seen in the movies and give the book a chance. They're beautifully written and you'll want to hang on their every word.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails