Tuesday, June 8, 2010

LIAR by Justine Larbalestier

LIAR
Written by: Justine Larbalestier
Publication date: September 29, 2009
Released in Hardcover

4 stars

Synopsis: Micah will freely admit that she's a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she'll ever tell you. Over the years she's fooled everyone: her classmates, her teachers, even her parents. And she's always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as easily as breathing?

How I Came to Read This: It sounded unique. What else can I say?

My Review: This book is like nothing else I've ever read. The title embodies the entire concept of the book, the way the story is told. I have no idea if what I've read is really what happened, if that was the actual story. Fictionally speaking, of course.

The main character and narrator, Micah, is a liar. A good one, too. She lies about everything, even about things there really isn't a reason to lie about. She's pretty much lied to everyone about everything to the point where she's out-casted herself and nobody believes a single word she says - even when it is the truth.

Micah has a boyfriend. When he is brutally murdered, nobody knows why, how or who would've killed the most liked and most popular boy in school. After a strange turn of events, it becomes Micah's job to find what happened and who is responsible.

It's a lot of back and forth, between past and present; truth and lies. Or maybe it's all a lie - I have no idea!! Once you start this book, there is no turning back. It's so all-over-the-place, in a surprisingly organized way, that you just have to find out where it ends. Speaking of ending, I think I would have preferred a different one, a stronger one. It didn't go where I thought it would, and I was slightly disappointed after all that. However, kudos to Justine Larbalestier for writing such a clever book!

My favorite parts of this book are when Micah tells the reader she has been telling the truth, and then she confesses to a lie she already swore was the truth! Then she says she won't do it again. I love it!

Who Should Read This: If you enjoy a tale with lots of twists and turns and you're able to keep up, this was a really fun read!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails