Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tuesday Review Day!

Written by: Lesley Livingston
Publication date: December 21, 2010 by HarperTeen
Released in Hardcover, paperback, Kindle, ebook
368pgs

5 Stars

Synopsis: "I don't love Sonny Flannery." 

That's the lie Kelley Winslow told to protect the boy she loves from a power he doesn't know he possesses. Devastated, Sonny retreats—to a haven for Lost Fae that's hidden deep underneath New York City.

But Kelley's not about to let things end in heartbreak. To get Sonny back, she's got to find out who's after his magick—and how to use her own. She's got to uncover who's recruiting Janus Guards to murderously hunt innocent Faerie. She's got to help rebuild the shattered theater company she called family. And she's got to do it all without getting dangerously distracted by the Fennrys Wolf, whose legendary heart of stone seems to melt whenever he's around Kelley.

The intrigue and romance that began with Wondrous Strange and Darklight come to a stormy head in Tempestuous, the breathtaking conclusion to Lesley Livingston's ravishing urban Faerie trilogy.

My Review: Once again, Sonny and Kelley are not with each other; Kelley lied and said she didn't love Sonny at the end of Darklight in order to get Sonny to leave. This was supposed to protect him from his inner Green Magick to which Kelley seems to trigger. So now Sonny's in one place and Kelley in another. She won't tell anyone what's going on in fear that his secret will get out and someone will try to kill him. It was kind of annoying that I had to wait for the recap in the next book to fully understand what happened in the previous one. I found that sometimes in this series when things would come to light, mostly at the end of the book, it wasn't really laid out or explained well enough that I was absolutely sure what happened. Maybe it's just me, but Kelley seems to be overreacting about Sonny's...uh...outburst in the Avalon Theater. I mean, he killed that bad guys. It's what he does for a living. Where's the problem?




There's a lot of temptation going on in this book directed at both Sonny and Kelley. Their physical separation and Sonny believing Kelley really never loved him; is creating room for others to slip in between them. With little struggle, they have to often remind themselves of their love for each other. You know I love a good love-triangle, but this guy, The Fennrys Wolf, is just WRONG! He's so sneaky! Here's what I'm wondering: Why did Sonny Flannery get such a weak name and Fennrys got such a bad boy name like the Wolf? Yeah, yeah, I know, the whole Irish background and all. Speaking of which, I really need to work on my Irish brogue because I think it was coming out (in my head, of course) kind of Scottish.

This was a tricky, twisty plot and everywhere you turn, you don't know who to trust! Or you know who you can't trust and you're screaming at the pages wishing you could warn the characters. There was a surprise at the end that I REALLY didn't see coming. I don't think I liked it. But I loved the book as a whole; the people, the places, all of it.

Overall: Tons of romance, lots of faerie magick wielding and twists and turns. If you like faeries mixed in with humans, as they so often are, this is a must read!

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails