Saturday, August 27, 2011

But Ma! Everybody Else Is Doing It!!


I think I've decided to jump on the Iron Fey bandwagon and find out what all the hub-bub is about! I've read the synopsis several times but never brought it home. It's not that it sounded bad or uninteresting, it's just that there are so many other series that I have and haven't read, I didn't want to add to that pile. and when I showed the book to my bestie, she brought up a point that the story sounds similar to Need by Carrie Jones.

Now, I love a good faery tale, so to speak. Wings by Aprilynne Pike is one of my favorite books. I've also read Lament and Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater, Tithe by Holly Black and Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog. I'm no stranger to the different types of fey there are in the world of young-adult fiction. 

From what I've gathered around the blogosphere about the Iron Fey series is that there is a serious love triangle going on - everyone is torn between Team Ash and Team Puck! Plus, it sounds like there's a big war going on. Not to mention the initial shock of a "human" girl finding out she's really a faery. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say she doesn't embrace her faery-side at first and wants to keep as much of her human life as possible, am I right? But then she finds out her loved ones are in danger so she has to step up to the plate and play her role in the faery world to save them. They all do. I don't mean to imply that the series is predictable but even if it was, it wouldn't bother me. I have certain expectations when I read a book. I look for certain marks to be hit so that the story follows a certain, yet not strict, order. It might go something like this:
  1. Introduction to main character and friends 
  2. Main character grows suspicious
  3.  Detective work that leads up to...
  4.  Discovery of what she really is 
  5. Denial 
  6. Danger 
  7. Acceptance 
  8. Big fight 
  9. Happy ending with or without major cliffhanger for the sequel
You know, something like that. Give or take.

I don't own any of the books yet, but I think I would like to get into them very soon. Not only does this series have 3 books out already (Iron King, Iron Daughter and Iron Queen) as well as a fourth one set to release October 25th, but there are also 2 exclusive ebooks (Winter's Passage, #1.5 and Summer's Crossing, #3.5)! To me this always says: the fans loved the books so much they wanted more and since publication between books is so long, the author decided to give them a little something to hold them over. This doesn't happen for every series so when I see these short e-stories, I think to myself, "Wow, it must be good!"

So my question for you is this:

How will this series stand out from others? 
Can you give me any more incentive to read it?

For those of you who have read the Iron Fey series, you probably don't need another reminder, but if not for that than another look at the awesome cover can't hurt!


"Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul."


Oooh, intriguing, isn't it? For those of you who haven't read this series, are you thinking what I'm thinking? What do you mean 'earn a soul'? He doesn't have a soul? Why doesn't he have a soul? I've gotta read these books!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails