Thursday, May 27, 2010

Immortal Review

IMMORTAL:LOVE STORIES WITH BITE
Short Stories Written by: Cynthia Leitich Smith, Kristin Cast, Rachel Caine,Tanith Lee, Richelle Mead, Nancy Holder, Rachel Vincent and Claudia Gray
Edited by:  P.C. Cast
Publication date: October 6, 2009 (first published August 1, 2008)

4 stars

Synopsis: find full synopsis at here at Goodreads.com

How I Came to Read This:  When I picked it up in the store, I saw that most of the contributing authors were some of my faves!

My Review:  Haunted Love by Cynthia Leitich Smith - This story was good - and it turned out to be pretty sweet.  It was like a whole novel in 30 pages; it had all the components.  You had your main character, new friendship/possible love interest, action and happy ending. What else do you need?

Amber Smoke by Kristin Cast - This one surprised me. It was something completely different. I quickly fell in love with the characters and when it finally sunk in that there wasn't going to be anymore, I was sad.  Spin-off??

Dead Man Stalking: A Morganville Vampires Story by Rachel Caine - If you're already reading the Morganville Vampires series, then you know who Shane is ad his relationship with his father. If you're not up on it, don't worry, this is still a story you can enjoy. It's about the last two surviving members of the same family - father and son - on opposite sides of a war.  Having to choose between the family you were given and the family you've made.

Table Manners by Tanith Lee - I didn't exactly enjoy this story.  It was a little difficult to want to continue.  For too long in the beginning, it was too vague.  The suspense was held for so long, it frustrated me.  I think it had potential, it was just a little too sloppy - and I really do hate to use that word; I'm sorry. I liked the ending though!

Blue Moon by Richelle Mead - Ladies and gentlemen, she does it again! Richelle Mead, in my book, is flawless. Even in a short story she can create a world that sucks you right in. I would have loved a whole book on these characters. I love everything Mead does - she can't miss!

Changed by Nancy Holder - This story had a great concept. A post-apocalyptic, overrun by vampires world.  It had a great main character that you wanted good things to happen to. I'm happy to have read this story. Maybe I'll even look for other stories by Nancy Holder.

Binge by Rachel Vincent - This is what I like about Rachel Vincent: she doesn't do it like anybody else.  She doesn't write about vampires or werewolves or even fairies. She focuses on beings we never read about, that we know nothing about. That was, when you're reading, there's no way you can stop. No way you can predict what's going to happen.

Free: A Story of Evernight by Claudia Gray - I absolutely love Evernight! This story had a pretty rough start for me. But shortly thereafter, it really took off and there was no longer any doubt i y mind that this was going to be good. You think it's going one way but the Gray switches it up on you! Strong ending.

Who Should Read This: If you're already familiar with these authors, it's a fun way to get a little more from them. However, I wouldn't use this book as a way to get into these authors. I don't think an author can really shine, really show her all, in a short story.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails